World Social Forum 2020: Mapping Assembly

World Social Forum 2020: Mapping Assembly

Time

2020-06-24T22:00:00Z :arrow_right: 2020-06-27T22:00:00Z

Place

Barcelona

Participant·e·s

This is maintained by a network of actors from the field of Intermapping.

Details are published in:

Objectives

The Mapping commission is in charge of giving visibility to the initiatives, organisations, movements and networks of the FSMET and to share knowledge and existing tools (both online and offline) that can show and connect participants and interested people.

The aim is also to raise the level of collaboration and interoperability among the mapping systems.

2 Likes

It would be nice to tell these people we exist. Given our connections to Communecter and GoGoCarto, I’m surprised we did not receive any advance notification on their previous assemblies: we certainly would have participated! I guess @natacha will invite them here soon.

1 Like

I have been a little slow in passing on information about a call on this subject tomorrow at 18:00. @natacha is preinformed and I will forward some information about this prior to the call. You both are now also part of the Transiscope and Commons Camp Riot channels, which gives you some access to this community.

1 Like

Thanks very much for this @yala I am still parsing what happened yesterday, the conversation was not so much about mapping but about a commons assembly at WSF in 2020. I also understood that in supplement to the there were several “commons camp” that might be organised in different parts of Europe, and maybe Latin America.
I do not yet see the scope of the groups, or how it is situated within the multifaceted panorama of the commons. I think this will unfold over time. Anyways I did register to the different mailing lists and I will follow with this. I will forward the information here when I understand anything useful.

I am not sure if it is of any use that I post here the link to the pads with notes of the meeting, if anyone interested, please ask.

2 Likes

Yes, I also had the feeling that mixing the three languages, three pads and two subjects, the Commons Camps and the FSM in BCN, didn’t help the case to get a concise narrative. But that was actually anticipated, wasn’t it?

Also it appears to having been an organisational meeting of sorts, where mapping was used as a sexy, catchy term to raise interest of spotters, but without much dedicated methodology behind it.

In the end we found out that their understanding of mapping is very much that of an empirical, sociological and geographical survey, so the very act of mapping, and not focussed on the underlying representations, i.e. data models and graphical depictions, as such. In simple terms, what they want is a Commons directory to show them which projects exist, and what kind of practices are present in place.

This is more an understanding of a social network analysis, and does not take into account the constraints set by geographical information systems. We will need a lot of advisory work to make ground for our argument to take care of some intrinsic notions of the work they intend to pursue. This is diplomacy.

Well in fact I am still trying to understand how this is linked to intermapping, is there a more or less formalised group about mapping and intermapping, or was the relation to intermapping just an effect of hasard?
Is there going to be more of those?
They seem to be very good in agregating international networks , wich is super important.
And yes I agree with you Diplomatie, lots of time and patience to get words around about the necessity of understanding tech issues. This is why I always insist on privacy and such, I know it sounds a bit like trolling and boring, but if we do not say this stuff, who will say it…

Kevin wrote me today about a mapping call on Wednesday. He promised me to forward details. Once that happens, I will share them here.

I have shared the details privately via Email, since they contained personal data. It’s interesting to see how contemporary activists/militants use that old media, and cannot make sure all their communication also happens on the web, linkable, like their pads …

The call will be held at 3pm in a Zoom conference, with an Etherpad attached. Maybe we should keep a wiki log somewhere to collect the different perspectives about this that we are able to grasp.

Great @yala thanks for this, I will join, if anyone else interested please ask here. I will also make a summary topic as you say, with wiki.

Unfortunately I will not be able to join tomorrow’s call, but will read the pad and hope for best outcomes (:

I have received nothing about it, so I won’t be able to participate either.

Hi @how, last week we introduced @natacha to the organisation group of the Commons Camp at the event in June next year. As much as I understood our conversation on Tuesday last week, it is also her who is appointed to spend extra attention on communication and organisation roles.

After that, I had been approached privately if I wanted to be included in a mailing about details for the next meeting of the mapping commission. From this, and in the quickness of events, it was not very obvious for me how public that event is, and how public it shall be. Especially since private means of communication were used. In the end it was easier for me to have development associated with you, and communication associated with Natacha.

Please bear with me for my lack of publicly disclosing the privately shared information. After reading through the minutes, it appears that there were more secrets in preparing the call, than what was bespoken. Information around the mapping commission will be continue to be collected at:

The latest calls notes are in https://pad.transformadora.org/pads/Mapping131119

Thanks loads for sharing this @yala it is very precious. Indeed publicity and organisation were unclear even during the meeting, I insisted on the mailing list and having public information somewhere as it helps to clarify the processes, glad it happens.

I think this is fair, then I can relay information also here and other canals, from my understanding they will be more meetings… many more :’)

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out. This is what I implicitly thought.

Is this also a suitable distinction for you @how?
Else, would you expect a more flat, in the sense of indifferent, way of communicating to all?
My interest here is to keep the cognitive load as low as possible.

Apparently there is a new poll for checking availabilities for a call on either 2019-12-03T14:00:00Z or 2019-12-10T14:00:00Z at

https://framadate.org/JtzJMwY9suR61e1g

The overall conversation partly continues in https://matrix.to/#/#intermapping:matrix.org